- Always put your hotel’s phone number in your cell phone contacts list. By doing this before you start “exploring the city” you have a way to get help if you get lost or “turned around” in unfamiliar surroundings. If this is not possible, be sure to take something from the hotel that has their phone number and/or address on it.
- Be careful when searching the internet to find a room. Sometimes the photo of the hotel or room is misleading and you find the “real thing” is NOT what you wanted and it’s too late to make changes.
- You’ve made your hotel and/or car reservation, so you should just be able to check in at the assigned time, right? Not so fast. Unfortunately, sometimes hotels and car rentals overbook or won’t honor your reservation for some other reason, which can leave you in a lurch. Avoid having this happen to you with these tips.
- Your reservation may not be honored for a number of reasons. The reservation you make on an online booking site might not actually go through to the hotel (and perhaps car rental), even if you get a confirmation from that site (e.g., Expedia),
- Anything out of the ordinary such as a blizzard, blackout, or large convention could make your reservation useless.
- Try double-booking with another car rental agency. Because you don’t have to pay upfront with most car rentals, you might use this tactic as a kind of travel backup. (I don’t know if this would be considered unethical or wreak havoc on the car rental universe if everyone did it.
- Always being on time to pick up your rental car and asking the car rental company to find you an alternative if they can’t honor your reservation.
- As for avoiding having no place to stay if your hotel sells out, Frommer’s recommends always calling to confirm your hotel reservation especially if you made the reservation through a third-party or your stay falls during a major event.
- This site, get a room.com was mentioned by Frommer’s as one of the fastest growing hotel booking sites!
- Cheap O Stay also offers great deals on hotel booking
11. An alternative idea for a relaxing, peaceful “getaway”, try doing a Bed and Breakfast. I have tried this five times and never regretted it once Click on Bed and Breakfast.com below to explore the possibilities:
12. And there are always good deals at Hotels.com: